lunedì 12 agosto 2013

Background check (afraid of Watchdog?!)

For those of you working in IT probably the sense in this title was clear at the very first glance. Anyway, this post is dedicated to my previous employments. 



The ironical connection between the screening you have to go through before being hired especially by one big multinational company (actually a lot of them are using more & more these background check agencies) & my working history stays in the fact that I will soon connect this blog to my Linkedin and Facebook profile. You will be able then to find out more (maybe too much?) about me. And that's the risk: people would know you better than you probably do yourself. Yes, you can "feel free" to publish only few information, share with selected people or groups, etc. BUT are we missing something? Yes, we are. Where is the point in a massive usage of Social Network? Where the value? 

Let's take Linkedin, for instance. If you work in IT, especially in sales, you are ambitious and want to grow, then you WANT TO be on Linkedin. I will speak about passive talents, Social Network recruitment later on. And you will understand why Linkedin has become such a great resource to find a job nowadays.

Step back to my working history:
Let’s spend few posts about my background....

Part 1:
Everything started when I was attending the high school, where I studied English, German and Spanish, not only in class but also travelling around Europe to have a real view of the "alive languages". Then during B.A. at University I did my first internship as Export Marketing Assistant, just to have an idea of marketing in action. Not a big deal, but all these experiences made me have a richer CV when I applied to a real job for the first time.

In my opinion I did well, at least at that point. I was aware of the Italian situation, competition was (and is still) at the highest level ever seen, why should they hire me?! And for “they” I mean a good company, able to teach me and make me grow, ready to invest in my profile. I was not different from the hundreds of young people that were looking for a job just after their degree-holiday (would you believe I didn’t have mine?!).

I had few points I really highlighted in my first Europass-CV (ah, please avoid it!!! Pleeeeeease!!!):
- good knowledge of English (well, much better than the Italian average)
- I demonstrate I lived abroad and I studied in Spain and Austria & my love for foreign cultures/languages
- I was only 20, University in progress, but already an internship. That was a good advantage!
- motivation BUT ONLY HERE we have the key!!!

In the next post I will tell you how it was my Microsoft interview, my experience in Microsoft Italy in general as an intern...


Stay tuned!

G.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento